maahanmuutto (compound noun) –


From maahan (illative singular form of maa, meaning ”to the country”) and muutto (meaning ”move,” ”relocate,” or ”migrate”.)

The opposite of maahanmuutto is maastamuutto, from maasta (elative of maa, meaning “from the country”) +‎ muutto (“migration).

The word for ”one who immigrates,” or an ”immigrant” is maahanmuuttaja.

Extra credit:

Colloquial or slang for maahanmuuttaja (immigrant) is mamu, taken from the first two letters of each part of the compound noun.  In Finland, however, there is some debate over whether mamu is an appropriate word to use to refer to immigrants. Some say it’s an offensive nickname, while others point out it’s just a standard abbreviation even used by government officials.



Täytä tietosi alle tai klikkaa kuvaketta kirjautuaksesi sisään:

Olet kommentoimassa -tilin nimissä. Log Out / Muuta )


Olet kommentoimassa Twitter -tilin nimissä. Log Out / Muuta )


Olet kommentoimassa Facebook -tilin nimissä. Log Out / Muuta )

Google+ photo

Olet kommentoimassa Google+ -tilin nimissä. Log Out / Muuta )

Muodostetaan yhteyttä palveluun %s